Top 10 Things to Do in San Diego
If you’re planning a vacation, you can’t pick a better destination than San Diego. With an ideal climate and gorgeous coastal views, you could spend days simply taking in the scenery. You won’t want to, however, because San Diego also offers an abundance of exciting activities.
These are the top 10 things to do in San Diego.
- Relax on the beach. If sunbathing is your idea of the perfect vacation activity, you won’t find a better place for it than San Diego’s beautiful sandy beaches. San Diego boasts 17 miles of coastline and an array of beaches to choose from. Many of the beaches offer a range of amenities, including restrooms, showers, picnic areas and permanent lifeguard stations. Humans aren’t the only creatures who enjoy relaxing on San Diego’s beaches. At the Children’s Pool, it’s common to see harbor seals.
- Head to the shore for swimming, snorkeling or scuba diving. Although there are plenty of spots to choose from, La Jolla Cove stands out as one of the best. It’s a beautiful location with a small surf during the summer and great water visibility.
- Go surfing at Tourmaline Surfing Park. Whether you’re an expert surfer or just learning, Tourmaline Surfing Park is the perfect spot to catch some waves. It’s also a great location for kiteboarding and windsurfing.
- Dare yourself to go hang gliding. Have you ever wished you could fly? San Diego’s stunning views make it a great place to go hang gliding and paragliding. If you’re interested in seeing what it’s like to soar above beautiful San Diego, you’ll want to check out the Torrey Pines Gliderport for lessons, tandem flights and certification.
- Visit the San Diego Zoo. The San Diego Zoo is a premier zoo with a wide range of impressive exhibits, including pandas, polar bears and much, much more. For a more personal experience, you can sign up for one of the zoo’s Inside Look Tours. To see the animals in a more natural setting, head over to the San Diego Zoo Safari Park, where you can take one of the safari tours or catch an animal encounter.
- Spend the afternoon golfing. San Diego has several great golf courses to choose from. There are three municipal golf courses: Balboa Park Golf Course, Mission Bay Golf Course and Practice Center and the Torrey Pines Golf Course. Golf enthusiasts may be excited to hear that the Torrey Pines Golf has been chosen to host the 2021 U.S. Open Championship.
- Play at LEGOLAND. The LEGOLAND California Resort is about thirty minutes north of San Diego. It includes more than 60 rides, shows and attractions. There’s also a LEGOLAND Water Park and a SEA LIFE Aquarium. This is sure to please the kids in your family – or anyone who just wants to feel like a kid again.
- Experience the city’s culture at Balboa Park. Balboa Park is not your average neighborhood park. It’s a huge urban cultural park with museums, shops, restaurants, gardens, art installations and more. The museums include the San Diego Museum of Art, the San Diego Museum of Man and the San Diego Natural History Museum, as well as many others. The large variety of gardens range from the Japanese Friendship Garden to the Desert Garden. The Balboa Park is also the location of the San Diego Zoo.
- Enjoy the nightlife at the Gaslamp Quarter. If you live for the night, you’ll want to check out San Diego’s historic Gaslamp Quarter. You’ll find roof top bars and nightclubs offering music, dancing and cocktails. The Gaslamp Quarter is worth visiting during the day, too, when you can enjoy the shops, restaurants, art galleries, museums and other activities this beautiful area has to offer. It’s also the site of some pretty impressive events, including Comic-Con.
- Go on a sailing adventure. Did you know that San Diego is one of the few places in the world where you can see whales year-round? This is a sight you don’t want to miss, and the best way to see these magnificent creatures is up close.
Gone Sailing Charters offers daily sailing adventures. Whether you’re looking for a three-hour whale watching tour, a weekend getaway to Catalina Island or a memorable setting for a special group event, we have the ideal package for you. Review your options and book online here. Make sure to check out the whale and dolphin watching 3-hour tour at noon and at sunset.